tBotNS 1:21 The Hut in the Jungle - Gene Wolfe’s The Shadow of the Torturer, The Book of the New Sun
May 31st, 2020 by ReReading Wolfe
The Shadow of the Torturer Chapter 21, "The Hut in the Jungle"
Marc Aramini assists. In the Jungle Garden, Severian and Agia sit in a hut and listen to a conversation among the inhabitants.
- Craig posts a bibliography of Wolfe criticism
- Father Inire, Lewis Carroll, and Rubber Bend
- Baudrillard, Domnina as a horror story, catoptromanchy and Agia/Agillus
- Jonathan Goodwin on captoptramancy
- Father Inire's mirrors and Star Trek
- Wolfe as a non-Star Trek fan
- Plato, Socrates, Apollodorus, and Glaucon
- Why the Pelerines's robes are red
- "The Conciliator was a man: Severian the Lictor"
- Thecla's Religion
- The Forged Excruciation Orders Theory
- How did Wolfe choose Thecla's name
- The shape of the Botanical Gardens
- The Crystal Palace - London
- The Crystal Palace - New York
- Time, dreams, Severian’s memories, and the Cumaean
This episode is sponsored by Tooth & Claw Travel.
You can also get episodes on your podcast app or on our Youtube channel.
If you have problems accessing the podcast on your favorite platform, let us know.
Questions, comments, corrections, additions, alternate theories?Connect with us on on Facebook
- Intro from "The Alligator", Annihilation soundtrack by Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow
- Outro from "Concrete Jungle" by Marley and the Holmes Brothers
- Logo art by SonOfWitz
Outros and alternate outros are cued on the Rereading Wolfe Podcast Spotify playlist IF the songs are available on Spotify.